Friday, April 6, 2018

Insatiable Darkness (Vigilant) by L.M. Preston

Insatiable Darkness is a short novel and can be read easily in a single sitting. The story is about Emvee a teenage girl who was forced to move to a new town because of her parents work. She soon learns -by eavesdropping on a conversation between her parents, that the reason for their move was not as clear-cut as she had first believed. This knowledge has led to a "need" in Emvee to know what is truly going on. It didn't take her long to realize that she may have bitten off more than she could chew.

*** Insatiable Darkness is the prequel to a new series that has yet to be published. ***

Forewarning, my review will be heavily based on storyline and plot, I will not ever mention grammar or spelling issues unless it is so bad that it distracts me from the overall tale.


What I liked about the story:
This is an interesting start to a promising series. I can't wait to learn more about Emvee and her coming trials. I have personally read many stories that take mythology and bend it to be used in many different ways, but I can honestly say that Insatiable Darkness bends mythology in a way I have not yet read. She had perfectly blended the idea of science and magic together so well that the idea was believable (if magic ever existed I could totally believe this could happen!) Emvee is a strong kiss-ass heroine that does not fall apart in the face of danger, she kicks it in the gonads!


Things that I believe could have made the story better:
The beginning of the story did not seamlessly bring me into it, it took the first chapter and some of the second before I could comfortably say I was all in. Once I was able to connect with the story I was sufficiently 'pulled in'. Though I do wish Ms. Preston could have expounded more on what a Soul Trainer is and what its purpose was.


The book did its job as a prequel and has left me wanting to know more about Emvee, her friends, and the dangers she will no doubt come to face.


I rate this light reading... You can finish this part within a few hours.
Rating: 4/5 Stars

Below you can find an audio version of this review:



No comments:

Post a Comment